Friday, December 5, 2008

Simplicity

Somewhere in mid-October I starting feeling anxious about the approaching Christmas holiday. I knew that time and money would be limited this year and there were tough decisions to be made. So we're doing things a little differently. Simplicity is this year's Wood Life theme. Here are just a few adjustments that have made all the difference both in our bank account and our state of mind.

Gift Giving: We scaled this one waayyyyy back. Both sides of the family agreed that this year we'd only purchase gifts for the kids. No adult gift swapping whatsoever! As a result, I'm already 98% done with my shopping and I've only been to 3 stores. Forget the money we're saving. I'm so excited I don't have to labor over what in the world to get my brothers-in-law I am beside myself. I am overwhelmed with such freedom and happiness I can hardly contain my yuletide cheer.

Decorating: This year there are no lights on the house, just on the bushes out front. And there's also no Disney Masterpiece. Years back, a family member gave us these huge animated Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Pooh and Tigger characters. Every year since, Handiman has used them to create a beautiful snow scene on a ledge in our great room. It was a crowd pleaser and a Handiman trademark. This year, the thought of hauling them all out, climbing up and down the ladder and vacuuming glitter off the furniture for weeks after just didn't seem appealing so we nixed it altogether. The Ocho was a little disappointed but she got over it. (I'm thinking those babies will be prize garage sale material in the spring. Anybody want to make me an offer?)

Christmas Cards: I thought I was being really radical and forward-thinking in deciding not send cards this year. Turns out many of my friends have made the decision too. I'll miss getting them more than I'll miss sending them. But I totally get it. Perhaps I'll post one here like so many are doing.

Our Annual Christmas party: This was the hardest decision. We've hosted this party for our closest friends for several years and I always look forward to it. But between working and the Sounds of the Season Tour 2008, there's simply no time. Thankfully, Trisha offered to host it this year so we're not going to be partyless. Hopefully, I can pick it up again next year. Unless Trisha follows true to form and hosts such an awesome party that nobody wants to come to my silly get-together anymore. It's more likely than not.

So, we're keeping it simple and I'm already enjoying it more than I have in years.

Anyone else? Are you keeping it small? Scaling it back? Leave me a comment and let me know. I could use some more ideas.



post signature

4 comments:

Big Nanny said...

I've obviously cut out blogging this season:) And I really think that you should give the Disney set to Robyn! Don't you think? I think it would look great in her formal living room. Ya know, next to the tree with all the crystal glass ornaments. Don't you have a key to her house and we go over there and SURPRISE HER!

Nicole @ Four Real said...

I'm in on that one Big Nanny! I mean the three of us ate in her bed while she was on vacation surely we can get in and do some Christmas decorating that she will never forget! :) Simplicity. That's what it is about this year my friend. As long as "We're All in This Together", that is all that matters, and "You Can Bet On It"! Ok, I know I am not as creative as you but give me some props. Love ya!

jam'n bell said...

Yes, it's simplicity in our household as well.

Christmas decorations have been scaled down in our home. Only the tree in the house and lights on the stairs. Nothing's even outside. If the boys decide they want to do it, it'll be without lights. I'm not climbing a ladder.


Not passing out Christmas cards. Usually make them but no time or money. Too expensive to mail. I got some from vistaprint.com for free so if I give any out, it'll be those...and hand delivered.

Presents! The boys really haven't even asked for anything. Sure we'll give them something, but it's not going to be big. They understand what the meaning of Christmas is all about...and it's not about presents.

So yes, thank you for pointing out that yes, it's sometimes easier to be s-i-m-p-l-e!

Merry CHRISTmas!

Tammy said...

Our kids only get 3 gifts for Christmas and they have not really asked for anything expensive this year.

We have a Christmas decoration crisis at our house so that part will definitely be simple...maybe VERY simple and Charlie Brownish.

I would SO love not exchanging gifts with my siblings. We draw names but I could live without that.

You'll get your Christmas card soon!

:-) And I would come to your Christmas party next year.