There was the recession, rising gas prices and the election for starters. I think I finally felt like a real live adult when all of those things hit me right where I live.
On a personal level, '08 was the year everything in our family changed. Because of the collapse of the housing industry, Handiman was forced to put his company on hold and get another job. For me, going back to work has proved to be more challenging than I ever imagined. But for all our griping and complaining, we know we're blessed. There are so many people we know and love struggling to find work, pay bills and keep there families together. It's a frightening time.
Add all of that with the fact that my daughter chose this year to stop innocently mispronouncing words and start saying things like "peace out" and "my bad".
Yep, reality hit us like a freight train this year.
So, like I said, I was prepared to leave this year in a trail of tears. But then I did a thorough review of my blog and my pictures and you know what I found? This year wasn't so bad after all. In fact there were quite a few stellar moments.
Like our trip to San Francisco. And our trip to Louisville. And who could forget our trip to Lawrenceburg? Not the Amish. Or me.
It was also the year I found myself face to face with many a celebrity. I managed to successfully stalk the likes of Sandi Patti, Miley Cyrus and Cindy Morgan. I also reached the pinnacle of blog celebrity stalkers when I managed to rub elbows with Boo Mama and Big Mama in one shot.
Then there were some fun times with my peeps. Dancing, tubing, playing Pit and marveling at how Shelly can work vampires, sword swallowers and Mowgli into everyday conversation.
And of course, let's not forget this was the year that brought Super Target to my little town. That is reason alone to call 2008 a rousing success.
So when I think of 2008, I will choose to think of the good times:
I'll think of the genius that brought the red dress and the duck shirt together, meatball subs, Wayne Newton and "You Can't Stop the Peeps." I'll think of Tammy's birthday video tribute and the commotion it caused. I'll remember seeing my article in Home Life, Operation Send-A-Box and Discount Date Night.
I'll think of the Golden Gate Bridge, getting lost in Stinson Beach and hunting for the crazy tree people at Berkley.
I'll also remember banning Oprah, hugging Sandi and seeing Miley on her movie set. I'll think of Lysa Terkeurst, Joanne the Yankee and the travesty that is US Air.
I'll think of the pool, the rodeo and a killer garage sale. I'll remember my new blog design and gaining a new perspective on how evil college friends can be when they discover Facebook.
I'll think of Handiman's arch and Big Nanny's THS.
And I'll always remember this was the year the Ocho learned to ice skate, roller skate, play softball and ride roller coasters. She also decided to come clean about her Indian heritage to Mr. Rob. What a relief.
I'll remember spending the weekend with Tammy, watching Gregg get married and being reunited with "George".
I'll think of holding baby Jonas, welcoming Susannah home and celebrating the Eight Days of Ocho.
I'll think of High School Musical 3, the Heart Walk and Confidence In Christ.
I'll never forget teaching the Virginia Reel, substituting for fifth grade, teaching my first computer class or the car-rider line.
And the memory of Dave microwaving his socks will always be with me.
Not bad, 2008. Not bad at all.
Have a safe and happy new year!


2 comments:
You never cease to amaze me! I am sitting here crying and laughing and remembering it all! Thanks for such a beautiful look back! I can't wait to see what this year brings for us all! Love you!
What a great look back at your year! I was so glad to have made a small part in it.
May God bless you and knock your socks off in 2009. Love you all!!
Post a Comment