Friday, March 14, 2008

My Travel Adventure Countdown

Hi Friends! Sorry I've been so negligent about posting but I've been busy preparing for our Spring Break Lollapalooza. We'll be heading to the left coast next Thursday and I've been a little preoccupied. I've been meeting with RubyDooby and finalizing our all-important itinerary as well as researching restaurants, planning what to pack and most importantly googling the address for DJ Tanner's house. Oh you know it! I will not travel all that way and not have a family portrait made at that very picnic spot. Not a chance.

All this trip planning got me to thinking about the extensive traveling I've done in my 39 years. Now, I know that extensive to me means something totally different than it does to a lot of you. I'm sure many of you out there are far more worldly than I and won't be all that impressed with my list. Just keep in mind that my humble beginnings didn't seem to offer much hope of traveling anywhere very exciting. Growing up in Selma, AL I always dreamed of bigger cities, brighter lights and restaurants fancier than the Steak Pit. Thanks to some divine intervention and a business trip or two, I've seen a few of those dreams come to fruition. I thought it might be fun to share some of those memories here with all of you.

After careful thought and consideration I have composed a list of my top 5 favorite trips of all time. Some destinations are more impressive than others but they all hold a very special place in my heart for one reason or another. Keep in mind that trips to Florida were not even taken under advisement. I offer my sincerest apologies to all of you who have ever traveled with me to the Redneck Riviera. This decision, however, should require no further explanation. Another omission is the vacation that changed my life forever; my trip to Nashville in the summer of '88. I'll save that story for another time. Also not included on the list is that ill-fated anniversary trip to Helen, Georgia Handiman and I made a few years ago. Our marriage counselor says the wounds are still to fresh to be discussed in a public forum.

I'll begin my list tomorrow and post another each day until Wednesday. There will tales of intrigue and suspense. Romance and Heartbreak. Swimming pools and movie stars. You won't want to miss it.

Tune in tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great time we had. And yes the thought of 2 nights without children was a blessing. Some of my favorite memories of that trip were Kelly Calendar getting a green jelly bean stuck up her nose (no wonder we never hung out with her), Kay climbing over that fence because she just had to drink from that stream (umm, wonder why that fence was there Kay?) and yes everyone being soooooooo jealous of the great place we got to stay at in Wales. And as Teresa's roommate on that trip I can tell you we were like kid magnets. I remember this one house we stayed in who had a little girl, don't remeber her age maybe 4 or 5 but she was fasinated with Teresa. Well, not sure how much of a morning person Teresa is now but back then she was not. And I remember this one morning where Teresa was eating a bowl of ceral and this little girl had a stuffed rabbit and she kept pushing her stuffed rabbit up to her bowl. I thought if she could she would pull ears from the rabbit. But besides the looks she kept giving the little girl she was a good sport. Have to say it was one of the best trips to this day. Rawhide!