First, let's address the most important subject: High School Musical 3. Yes we've seen it. Twice. And we have plans to go again. That should tell you that we enjoyed it. During our first viewing on opening night, we were the first in line. My favorite part of the evening was watching Handiman clothes-line a couple of middle school girls who tried to cut in front of him on the way into the theater. You obviously should never try to come between a man and his musical.
Our second viewing was a 1:00 pm matinee. The Ocho and I got out of school early for parent/teacher conferences and high-tailed it to the cinema. This time we were the only two in the theater until about 10 minutes after the movie started. That's when a 30-something year old woman came in. All alone. And I didn't judge her. Because there but for the grace of God go I. So I silently prayed and thanked Him for giving me a daughter to use as a decoy.
If you haven't seen it yet I don't want to spoil it for you. I will just say that I sang, danced and joined with many other moms in screaming inappropriately for the movie's lead hottie.And yes, I did cry at the end. I love how true they stayed to the first movie and didn't try to go all serious or mature to impress critics. It was pure joy and you just don't find that very much in modern cinema.
Now, moving on. Because there are other things to discuss. Like the karaoke contest. And the folk dancing. Oh, yes. I have been a busy bee.
Our school's fall festival was last Saturday and this year they had their first ever American Idol-style Karaoke contest. I entered with my friends Mary Beth & Leona. They are the kindergarten teachers I aid for and, as it turns out, marvelous background singers. We did "Stop In the Name of Love" and brought the house down. Of course, we lost because the judges thought a 4 year old singing "Mrs. Jones & Me" was way cuter. Whatever.
This past Friday was Great Americans Day at school. This is the day when every class gets to participate in all things USA like three-legged races, baseball games, hot dog picnics and making flag crafts with tissue paper and glue sticks. And, of course, learning to dance the Virginia Reel.
I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time on Wednesday afternoon. Our principal was drawing up the itinerary for the day's events as I was standing outside her office calling names for dismissal. That's when I heard the dreaded words "Mrs. Wood, do you know anything about folk dancing?" to which I replied "No, I sure don't". Then she informed me I could learn all I needed to know from YouTube. So on Friday I found myself teaching the steps and saying things like do-see-do and swing your partner. Never in a million years did I see that coming when I signed up to teach computer.
Besides all the teaching, karaokeing and folk dancing, we've had 2 open houses in the past 2 weeks with zero lookers. This is depressing for many reasons, not the least of which is that I've spent my last 2 Saturday's cleaning for these non-existent home buyers. That is time I could have spent at the movies whistling at Zac Efron.
Now that you're all caught up, I'll get serious for a moment. We'd certainly appreciate your prayers this week. Things get a little sad around here in November and I can already feel the clouds moving in for me personally. Some have asked about Rebekah's Rainbow so I'll just let you know that we are doing it as a family this year but didn't want to make anyone else feel obligated to participate. If you want to, you are more than welcome. God's already shown off in a big way with an early birthday present which I'll share more about that later in the week. I'm also planning to post her entire story for those who've never heard it. I shared it publicly for the first time about a month ago at a conference at our church. Since it's already typed up, I figured I could share it with those here who might be curious but too afraid to ask.
I'm so thankful for the past two weeks of musicals, karaoke and folk dancing. The next two probably won't be so much fun.


5 comments:
Absolutely will we pray for you as Rebekah's Birthday and all to soon Homecoming approach. God never promised us happy times but He certainly provides us comfort and we are here to support you as much as you need. Send us the details of Rebekah's Rainbow off-blog- I think we want to participate.
We love you and are standing behind you in all that you have going on. Besides, we have to see those folk dance steps. You should have gone with the Maypole Dance.
Jesus said "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to youas the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
John 14:27
Ok, fine...I'll stand up and admit this.
I DID THE VIRGINIA REEL IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!
There. I've said it. What a release. Man, that was some therapy.
Going to see hot Zac Effron, I mean HSM3 on Friday. I can't wait. I'll be practicing the soundtrack all week.
I love you, T. You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.
Hey Teresa,
I know how that goes getting rooked into doing things you never thought you would do by your principal. Just want you to know I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers over the next two weeks.
Look at you. Go God!
Post a Comment