First of all, our church reimplemented the dreaded Fall Festival after a one year hiatus. That one year was the most fun I've had on Halloween in a long time. Our family dressed up together, went trick-or-treating and hit a few block parties with friends. It was marvelous.
This year we found ourselves back at church working our Sunday School class' assigned game. It was a BMX racetrack with scooters and tricycles. Or as Handiman called it, the seventh level of Hell. We were only there for 30 minutes but just like in the real den of iniquity, 30 minutes seemed more like 30 hours.
But that wasn't the scariest moment.
After we did our time we headed home so Ocho and her friends could trick-or-treat the neighborhood. Handiman and our friend Stevie C. took the kids out while I stayed home to hand out candy to undeserving teenagers. (By the way, what is the statute of limitations on trick-or-treating? I'm pretty sure if you're old enough to drive your time has expired.)
While I found myself at home alone, I decided to embrace the holiday season and watch "The Scariest Movie Moments" countdown on Bravo. That might not have been the best idea. I was fine until they showed the scene from "When a Stranger Calls" where they tell her that the call is coming from inside the house and then her eyes bug out and then that stupid chain catches on the door and the shadow appears on the stairs................Again, not the best idea.
But that wasn't the scariest moment.
After the kids came home and Ocho counted her stash, we sent her to bed and Handiman finished watching the countdown with me. This led to a a deep, meaningful discussion about the scariest movie we've ever seen. We both voted for "Halloween" with "The Amityville Horror" coming in a close second. All that talk about Jason and Freddy and the Tall Man and Alien completely creeped me out. But still, that was not the scariest part of the night.
The scariest moment came when I wondered how we went from this

to this

in just 8 years.


5 comments:
Yes, they sure do change over the years. I miss the days of them dressing up like what we want them to be.
You've got a GREAT looking Sharpay there!
Teresa~ When Ocho IS driving...you'll realize that the age limit on Trick or Treating doesn't expire then...in fact, you'll be thankful that she still wants to do some "little kid things" cause most of the "little kid things" in her life will have been stored away in plastic tubs and put into your attic. There are moments that remind you that, for a wee bit longer, even when they are 17...they still have some kid left in em'. Halloween is one of those moments...I pray my kids trick or treat until they are 27. :)
Kate
I agree with everything Kate just said, I was thinking it when I read this yesterday, but didn't know how to put it into words. My daughter went trick or treating last year and yes, she was a senior in high school. I thought it was cute that she still wanted to take part in this childhood ritual.
Thanks for taking Brianna trick or treating, and I'll still let you when she is a senior;)
aww... I remember her in that first picture!
haha. That is funny. Here I am about to comment on "when a stranger calls" and I move on to read the rest and it was all about your daughter. That is funny! Life goes by way too fast these days. I just said the other day, I remember when the school year dragged on and on and now I can't believe it but it's almost christmas. Felt like yesterday I was graduating highschool and that was 2003. Now i've graduated college and I'm teaching. YIKES! Now back to the movie! That is a crazy movie but isn't a good idea to watch it the NIGHT before you have to babysit. I did this when I was 16. Didn't drive and the house was all windows with no shades or blinds to cover it. Their dang phone would NOT stop ringing and I ran back and forth checking on the baby. hahahha. Freaked me out enough to not babysit for awhile. haha. The second one wasn't as good as the first one.
Totally found your blog today from Melissa Lee's. I read some of y'alls blogs who have shared the same experiences and I must say it is such an encouragement and inspiration to see you guys be so humble and in love with Christ. I'd think one would crumble when experiencing such a loss but to see and read about your beautiful rebekah. Your faith is encouraging and uplifting. You have such a beautful spirit and heart. Thank you for being such a great example of a sister in Christ.
Post a Comment