Because this morning one of our teachers called in sick and, as luck would have it, there were no substitutes available. So, Yours Truly is once again playing the role of teacher.
The good news is this time it's 2nd grade. The bad news? It's the Little Ocho's class. There are several factors involved that make this not such a good situation. First, the obvious. Being your daughter's teacher is not an ideal scenario. Secondly, I know all of these girls a little too well. And vice versa. They know exactly how to push my buttons and so far, they're pushing away. Also, this is the all-girl's class, or the Princess Class as they prefer to be called. So,as I see it, that makes me the (substitute)Queen.
So far today we've done a handwriting and reading lesson. I'm proud to announce that I didn't come across any words I couldn't spell or pronounce. So things are already going way better than Friday.
Right now, we're in library. And, what do you know? The Librarian is out today. And our principal, who is subbing for her, is in chapel. So guess who gets to be the librarian? That.........would be me. Again.
My resume is going to R-O-C-K at the end of this year.
Actually, the library and the computer lab are in the same room. So, as the computer teacher I took it upon myself to open up the lab after reading them a story. They are all currently playing games and doing virtual makeovers while I'm blogging. Cause that's how I roll.
Once again, math is my downfall. You'd think 2nd grade math wouldn't be a big deal. But factor in that there is apparently a "student of the day" and she gets to do all sorts of interesting and special math problems, none of which I have any instructions about. And then, factor in that today's lesson has to do with fractions. I don't do fractions. Thankfully, there were lots and lots of worksheets to be done at their desks.
Next up, lunch. This should have been an easy one. But of course, one of the princesses left her lunchbox on the table. And of course, someone accidentally threw it in the trash. And of course, I had to go dumpster diving to retrieve it so that the aforementioned princess didn't have a royal meltdown. I now have Sunny-D all over my pants.
And have I mentioned how chatty 15 girls are? And how they consider "Stop talking!" and "Quiet Down Right Now!" as merely suggestions to be pondered and then forgotten. I just gave 'em the old "THAT'S IT!" in my sternest (and loudest) voice. It is now eerily quiet.
It's good to be Queen.
Next up is recess. This is the time I hope to have my first restroom break of the day.
I managed to teach a phonics and spelling lesson. Mainly because I already know how to alphabetize. Oh yeah. I've got mad alphabet skillz.
And now, it's time for dismissal. They're working on a pilgrim craft and many have asked if they can color it however they want. I said yes without thinking and now there are many pilgrims with purple skirts and blue hair. I'm not sure that was their teacher's intention. Hmmmmm. Oh well.
My work here is done. I am now relinquishing my throne. Long live the Queen.


4 comments:
Oh my gosh! I am exhausted just reading what you are doing! There is no way I could ever be Selah's teacher. Oh that would be bad!
fractions? what are fractions?
While 1/4 of me thinks you did a stellar job, another 1/4 of me thinks the kids ran all over you, and another 1/4 of me thinks you were a wonderful substitute Queen, and 1/4 of me thinks you should keep your Miss Judson crown in your car just in case you become Queen for a day again.
How high does that school go??? Pretty soon you are going to be able to say you are a K-12 teacher with an emphasis in Computer Technology.
Post a Comment