Monday, August 17, 2009

Conversations with The Ocho - The Time Zone Edition

We were driving home on Sunday when the Ocho announced that an all new "Sonny with a Chance" was coming on and she didn't want to miss it.

Me: What time does it come on?

Ocho: 8, 7 Central

Me: OK. Do you know which one of those times is for us?

Ocho: 7, I think.

Me: That's right. Whenever you see "Central Time" just remember that's for us.

Ocho: Why? What does that mean?

Me: long pause...trying to condense time zone explanation into 8 year old terms and knowing that I can't but I take a deep breath and give it a shot....Well, the US is divided into different time zones. There are 4 different sections and each one has their own zone. In California, if it's 5:00 then in Utah it's an hour later. And it's 7:00 in Tennessee and 8:00 in New York but at the same time. California's is called Pacific time, Utah's time is called Mountain time, Tennessee is Central & New York is Eastern. It's the same time of day but different hours on the clock at the same time. Do you get it? (And of course, I knew she didn't. I wasn't even sure I understood what I said.)

Ocho: .........um....Yeah, I think so.

Me: Really? Then explain it back to me.

Ocho: Well, if it's Easter in New York then Texas has Mozzarella. And "Sonny with A Chance" comes on at 7 here because in California it's specific.

Me: Forget it. What time does your show come on? Do you even remember?

Ocho: 8, 7 Central. Just like I said.


post signature

3 comments:

Nicole @ Four Real said...

If you don't start a book with the things she says soon, I AM!!!!!!! :)

Gena said...

She's just a funny kid!

Tammy said...

Bwah ha ha ha....I love her!