"Does Lydia like The Jonas Brothers?"
When I replied yes, she said she might know of some extra tickets to their upcoming Nashville show and asked if I'd be interested. There were 4 of them and she was thinking that maybe Lydia would like to go with her BF Selah (daughter of my BF Nicole). I thanked her for thinking of us and told her to keep me posted. Then I forgot about it. Because of those words "I might know...".
There was no way I was getting The Ocho's hopes up over something that had a slim chance of happening. And besides I knew the concert was on a school night which was why I had dismissed us going in the first place.
Fast forward to exactly one week ago. I checked my email from work and saw a frantic message from Nicole. It read "CALL ME!!!!" So I did. She asked me if I knew anything about Jonas Brother's tickets from our friend Richelle. I told her the story and then she said something to the effect of "SHE JUST CALLED AND OFFERED US 4 FREE TICKETS TO THE JONAS BROTHERS AND I KNOW IT'S ON A SCHOOL NIGHT BUT JUST SUCK IT UP !!! WE HAVE TO GO! THE GIRLS WILL FREAK!!!!!"
And so, our plan was hatched. We decided to not breathe a word of it to our daughters. We would wait until the day of the show and surprise them. And whatta ya know, it worked.
After the big reveal, it was time to get them dressed in the outfits we had prepared. I must say that was one of the most stressful parts of this whole secret. My girl likes to dress. And she prefers to be in charge of her fashion statements. Cole found the shirts (which were all kinds of awesome) so I was just left to choose the jeans, shoes and accessories. I think we did pretty good. In fact, I know we did because as we were walking to our seats later, a girl that was probably 11 or 12 stopped the girls and told them "your outfits are AWESOME!"


Once we were ready it was off for a quick pre-concert dinner at the girl's favorite fancy restaurant.

From there we hopped in the car, cranked our Jo Bros CD up and cruised into Nashvegas. I decided when we got close to the arena to give the girls the ultimate experience and roll the windows down. We sang at the top of our lungs, screamed and waved our arms much to the amusement of fellow fans, one police officer and a few parking attendants.
After some stressful laps around the Sommet we finally found our parking lot, the only one that would accept our VIP PARKING PASS!!! Courtousy of the aforementioned greatest friend on earth, Dr. Richelle Day. The reason she passed her tickets on to us was because she had purchased the VIP package for her daughters (which included a visit to the sound check and a question & answer session with the Jo Bros). She had an extra parking pass and gave that to us as well. Seriously? Could we be any more blessed by this experience?
When we walked in our entrance (without waiting in line) we were right at our seating entrance! We also happened to run right into our generous benefactor and snapped a picture of her. There are no words to describe how grateful we are for the experience. This lady rocks!

We took our seats (which, of course, were A-MAAAA-ZING) and made sure we were armed with our concert essentials. Cotton Candy & Glow Sticks:

After an hour of opening acts (Everlife was tolerable. Honor Society was pretty good. And I do NOT want to talk about The Wonder Girls.) The Jonas Brothers finally hit the stage. Now, let me say this. I expected the screaming to be intense. And I had pretty high expectations for their show. Both expectation were HIGHLY surpassed.
Mock me if you will, but this was the best concert I have ever been to. Bar None. From the sound and musicianship, to the trampoline, smoke guns, hydraulic lift and rotating stage. It was stunning. And don't get me started on the rain that fell in the pattern of hearts. I'm still trying to figure that out. And when they played "Sweet Caroline" for all the parents, they won my heart forever.
These boys aren't just cute, talented, nice boys who love Jesus and their mama (although I am so grateful my daughter has teen stars to look up to who are all those things) but they are showmen. If we are able, I will buy tickets to every show they ever play here. Mark. My. Words.
And I wasn't the only one who enjoyed it. My sweet, reserved daughter who never sings out loud in front of anyone or dances when I'm watching was on her feet for almost the entire 2 hours. She was screaming. She was waving and clapping. She was singing. And yes, she was dancing.

She called it THE BEST! SURPRISE! EVER! and I have agree it was. When it was all said and done we were all deaf and exhausted. And yet, when I asked for a post-concert reaction shot, this is what I got:

Once it was over, the blessings continued to flow. Not only did we scoot right out of our parking lot without waiting in traffic and hit the interstate within 5 minutes, but The Ocho and I had the luxury of sleeping in this morning. The flu epidemic hit our school hard this week so our headmaster decided to shut school down for the remainder of the week. I'm sorry to rejoice in the suffering of others but it sure made the whole experience much easier to enjoy.
So, thanks Richelle for the tickets and parking pass! And thanks Mr. Wahlman for the school closing! And thanks to Nicole & Selah for being the best concert buds ever! And thanks Kevin, Joe & Nick for a night we will never forget!




3 comments:
I felt exactly the same way about my whole JoBro experience. And it's kinda eerie how our girls responded very similarly to finding out. I think we should quit our jobs and be roadies. :-)
I have tears in my eyes!!! Reliving it all is so great! It was the BEST NIGHT EVER!!!! Selah woke up at 6:30 a.m. BY HERSELF and the first thing she said was "MOmmy,can we do that all over again!!!!" YES!! We did it! WEll, The JoBros did it! Ready for the next one! :)
Cool mom of the year award for you :)
Post a Comment