Friday, October 30, 2009

It's fun to have fun but you have to know how!

We started preliminary discussions on our family's Halloween costumes a couple of month ago. It's not easy to come up with something for just 3 people, especially when one of them is 9 years old and very particular about the state of her hair.

I did a little research online and found our options were even less than I thought. We were pretty much limited to Veggie Tales, S'mores or The Kardashians. I suggested we go as The Jonas Brothers but quickly received the eye-roll for even suggesting The Ocho dress up as a boy. Nevermind she was going to be Nick who is everybody's favorite.

Then I suggested something I knew Handiman wouldn't be thrilled about but he rarely gets a vote in these situations so I went for it. It was met with enthusiastic approval from The Ocho so it was decided. This year we would take our inspiration from classic literature.



I find it odd that she doesn't mind dressing up as a boy cat, but has a real problem with a boy rockstar. I guess because Nick doesn't wear a cool bow tie. Nevertheless, Handiman wasn't real sure what Thing 1 & Thing 2 looked like when he agreed to this nonsense. I, however, knew exactly what I was signing him up for. Hee Hee.

Once we were all decked out in our holiday finest, we hooked up with our traditional trick or treat buddies The Chapek family.



After we made the rounds of our neighborhood scoring many a candy bar and frightening the neighborhood children with our wigs, we headed over to The Chief's house. I've got new for all you Spring Hill Peeps. The Chief's house is the place to be on Halloween. She had a bowl full of Snickers and Milky Way bars and we were only her 4th customers. Next year I'll send you all a map ahead of time. : )

After that we made a brief stop at the TSC Fall Festival so The Ocho and Abigail could see each other's costumes. That's where the real fun began. It took all of our really good friends about 10 seconds to recognize us. The looks we got were priceless. So was the instant humiliation that flooded The Ocho's face once we were amongst friends. It was all fun and games in the neighborhood where nobody knows us but once we hit familiar territory she actually tried to hang bag as to distance herself from us. Then I explained it was pointless since, ya know, she was The Cat in the Hat and therefore forever linked to Thing 1 & Thing 2.

She did not like us in a house. She did not likes us with a mouse. She did not like us here or there. She did not like us anywhere.

So, we're already thinking of ideas for next year. If you have any suggestions send them our way.

post signature

1 comment:

Gena said...

Bring. it. on.

The chief and her Maki LOVE Halloween guests!