If you're not looking for Judson, chances are you won't find it. It's tucked away in the small town of Marion, AL and has little to offer in the way of entertainment or culture. In fact, my freshman year marked the grand opening of the town's very first fast food restaurant, Hardee's. No, I'm not kidding.
To outsiders, Marion has two claims to fame; Judson and Marion Military Institute. Judson is a Baptist, all girls, liberal arts college. Those three things combined scream boring to most kids looking for the independence and freedom of the college experience (and there were plenty of girl's there under duress and sent to "reform") but for a girl like me, it was heaven on earth.
I embarked on my four years there as a shy, insecure girl with little to no direction. Suddenly, I was in a dorm full of strangers and being asked questions about my major and which foreign language I wanted to study. I hadn't really given much thought to studying, much less foreign language. Four years later I graduated with a BA in music. I decided rather late in my junior year to try my hand at a double major of music & journalism but fell short and settled for a minor in English. I suppose I learned a little something in my classes. Except a foreign language. I started with German and dropped it after one class. Then I moved to French and failed my first semester. I eventually passed, but I'm pretty sure it was a pity pass since the only thing I can say en Francais is "un bifteck frites" which means steak and fries. And, obviously ordering from a menu would be the only reason I'll ever need to know French, so I suppose it served me well.
To explain my college experience, I'd have to use alot of terms that would be foreign and down-right weird to most people. Phrases like step-sing, senior seal, rosy goblet and ivy chain don't mean much to most people but to Judson girls they signify a great deal. Even the title of this post will mean something special to them. Judson is simply a "you had to be there" experience.
The school itself is steeped in tradition. Every morning a man walks the campus clanging a giant triangle to announce breakfast is on in the dining hall. There are certain weekends designated as formal events and white gloves are required. The first Sunday of the school year the entire student body and faculty marches through the streets of town to attend church together. Every year the jr/soph class puts on a musical play for the student body that is chosen, planned and rehearsed entirely in secret. These and many, many other things have been handed down from class to class for 170 years. You can't help but come away feeling like you've become a part of history. A part of something really special.
While I appreciate the education I received, it was the friendships that made the difference in my life. After just a little searching my freshman year, I found my crowd . The foundation of that crowd was these 2 girls. 
To my left is Tammy, no stranger here. She was into science and athletics. Under normal circumstances we would have probably never run in the same circles, but at Judson we were peas in a pod. To my right is Natasha. She was into art and Kirk Cameron. She's hands down one of the funniest people I ever known in my entire life. She's kind of like Carol Burnette on crack. These two girls were roommates who sweetly befriended me and gave me some of the best memories of my life. Natasha was quoting Raising Arizona and The Princess Bride long before I had committed them to memory and Tammy taught me the art of sarcastic wit. They always gave me a shoulder to cry on, an ear to complain to and a raucous cheering section everytime I took the stage.
I suppose I learned my fair share of music theory and English literature but the lessons that have carried me through life were more of the practical joke variety. At Judson I received a formal education in the art of short-sheeting beds, rolling rooms, sewing clothes in a closet together, placing urinal cakes in an air conditioning wall unit, placing fake poop in the shower & parking someone's car in the middle of the hockey field. Those are the things that have proven the most useful in life.
Besides Tammy & Nat, there were other friends who made an indelible impression on my life. Allow me to introduce them.
These are my buds Dianne, Amy & Julie. This was after a shaving cream fight and I'm not sure which one instigated it (Amy would be my guess). Today they are an engineer, an architect & a psychotherapist respectively. You'd never see that coming from this photo.

This is me, Julie & my music major mentor Kathleen.
Kathleen has the most beautiful operatic voice you will ever hear and was always so sweet and supportive to me. I was always extremely intimidated by her so when she dared to become my friend it made me feel all kinds of special. She was also the teacher's pet so being in her crowd made me seem way more talented than I actually was.
This is my friend and fellow music major Laurie.
Girlfriend could rock the piano. And she'd never in a million years use the term "rock the piano" because she was always the most dignified among us. She had very good manners, very good posture and a very good vocabulary. All of this and more earned her the nickname "Muffy". She was crowned Miss Judson College in 1990 but lest you think they only gave that title to true ladies just remember.....I was crowned Miss Judson College in 1988.
This is my sweet friend Suellen.
We were choir buddies and shared alot of great experiences like classes with Dr. Betty, touring England & Wales and being bossed around in the dining hall by a girl we referred to as "purse". I can't get into how she earned that nickname but, trust me, it could have been way worse.
There are many more friends (Peggy, Denise, Patty, Penny, Deana, Angie) I could go on and on and on about. Maybe another time.
I could also wax poetic about all sorts of things like my role as Ann Hasseltine Judson in our Sesquicentennial play, Tammy's reign as hockey day queen, trashing the honor council president's room with Tammy & Natasha and the honor of being voted a class virtue and the subsequent mint green dress debacle that followed (see photo below). But I won't. Because all of that is "Judson Speak" and if you're not a graduate you won't get it. You're not even supposed to get it because almost everything about Judson is very secretive and mysterious. So, I'll just post a few photos and give very limited commentary.
For instance, during our annual J-Day celebration (Judson's homecoming) there is a maypole dance on the front lawn. And look who some of the lucky participants were:
This is the "mint green dress debacle".
Each of us was given a pattern and told the dresses were to be mint green. Obviously, we all had different ideas on what that means. All but one of us obeyed the white hose rule and none of us realized how embarrassed we'd be by our hair in 20 years. It's a shame really.
This was me and my friends in Jewett Hall one rainy night. I guess Tammy was taking the picture. Sorry Fruit Bowl, but my pyramid building days dates back to 1987. And I was a "base" even back then.
If you're a Judson peep and you're reading this, pretend my comment section is one of those cute dry erase boards we kept on or dorm room doors and leave me a shout-out. I'd love to know you stopped by! Just don't tell me Roger Breland called. I totally won't fall for it. (sorry. private joke)


11 comments:
BRAVO! BRAVO! This dry-erase board is WAY too small for all the things I have to say....but I'll just write a few key words:
booger
lee press-on nails
tapestry
scream bag
dorm bowling
short-term
dome climbing
pageant raid
senior oak, seal, arbor, swing
Dixie
march
candle wax
Ok. I can go on for hours...
Judson did the same thing for me that it did for you and more. But more importantly it's where I found my BFF. :-)
And we all know "friends are friends for ever" especially if they "raise their rosy goblets high" while singing on the Jewett steps!!
Love you bunches!
Fantastic--You definitely should have continued in that Journalism phase. JC should call on you to write out PR stuff...who wouldn't want to be a part of everything you wrote about. I know I do, and I was there. Ya'll are great!!!
I know I'm not a Judson girl but I would LOVE to hear the background of the Roger Breland story. Shawn and I have some great ones on him too. (His son works with Shawn :))
My college story is very similar to your's except we were co-ed. But here's what my little R.A. self would have written on your white board:
Room Check 3:00!!
Saders rule!
Well said, Teresa! That brought back sweet memories and now I want to go get my candle holder off the shelf and sing Senior songs to my kids! I might just have to bring my song book, Peggy and I made, home next weekend so she and I can sing a few together, heehee... Mom has Ivy growing in the backyard... I'm feeling that Ivy crowns would be appropriate for the occassion! Thanks for the post, it gave me the warm fuzzies!
Loves,
~Patty
"Once Upon A Time".... I have to say reading your blog brought back such great memories. I am missing my Judson Sisters, sounds like a trip needs to be planned. Been to long. And you are so right, you can't explain "Judson" you have to just live it (The ties that bind)
I was talking with a UAH college student that goes to our church just the other day and was telling her about some of the things we did at Judson. Judson is different than other colleges and universities, but still very, very special. Thanks for sharing.
Okay - here is my addition to this virtual white-board!
Blue Room
The smell of burning hair in the middle of the night during "you know whats" (Baby Girl - may she rest in peace - never could hold a candle without torching someone's hair)
Make a run for the border
Wrong-way 0-2 (best basketball mishap ever!)
Cooking hot dogs over the fire in the Club House during the Pig Family Christmas party
Pig Family Rules! (Anyone ever hear from Kay White?)
Sign-out cards
and something college age women today will never understand - Curfew.
Teresa - thanks for the memories. I look forward to part two of this "Walk Down the Ivy Lane."
Sign out cards! Scream bag! Dorm bowling! Waking underclassmen up in the middle of the night just so we could say "Goodnight"! It's all priceless! Hiding under the stage to find out what he underclassman play was all about and getting caught/chased! Didn't one of us have a key that got us into the cafeteria late one night to sneek ice cream out? The banners we used to make to put across someone's door just to say YOU RULE!! Good Good times! The snow in April our freshman year and our dorm mom actually let us go over to WMU so we could get our Hightowers to come outside!! I could go on and on! Wonderful blog Teresa!!
Teresa you are absolutely AMAZING! I've often tried to explain to my students about Judson, but it's so hard to describe in words the experiences that stay with you for a lifetime. This is so fabulously eloquent that I think I'll print it out and hand it to them next time they ask. :o)
I also have to add that I am touched and honored to be your musical mentor. Isn't it remarkable that at the time I was so intimidated by you?! Talented, smart, beautiful Teresa! How in the world were YOU intimidated by me?!
Okay...my dry erase board additions:
Kidnapping Denice's Carebear
Hanging Denice's Carebear
Choir trips
WMU elevator
WMU TV room
Kay Smith's snoring
Me singing in my sleep
Bats in the practice rooms
the ghost in the music building
Dr. Betty (nuff said)
Mrs. Peeples Music History class and...
Drop the needle (argh)
Saturday morning breakfast
white gloves
the security guards
Laurie's SAAB
the co-horts
and the four most fabulous Miss Judsons - Lisa Duke, Marlena Hazard, Laurie Bledsoe and Teresa Tabor!
Okay, must stop now...I'm overdosing on nostalgia!
Even though I just graduated, I got what you said. 18 years difference between our experinces doesn't change the fact that we are sisters bound by tradition. "Live on JC for aye!"
-Angela L. Higgs Monroe '08
Teresa,
I was doing research about international students feeling a part of the university family and wrote about the big-sis and little sis at Judson. You were at one time my big-sis. Imagine my surprise when looking through the Judson site and seeing your name and an opportunity to read about your recollections at Judson. I was there my freshman year 1987-88. I never had the chance to thank you for being my big-sis, but I really appreciate it. As a matter of fact, I still have the book you gave me "A Friend Makes all the difference" by Jane Parker Resnick. Inside you wrote "Dannett! Hi Little Sister! You are such a special part of my life! I'm always here for you! I hope we can always be close! "Don't walk in front of me-I may not follow. Don't walk behind me-I may not lead. Walk beside me-and just be my friend. I love you, your big sister forever! Teresa"
I have read that book so many times and I held that sentiment close to my heart all these years. Inside the book you underlined the following passage
"'Family'is a word reserved for the people born to be closest to you. They have a birthright to the title which is simply automatic. But brothers and sisters, cousins and uncles and ants aside, it seems to me that we have become 'family' to one another. We are related because we want to be, not we happen to be. And a family feeling between friends is something to cherish. It shows a depth of caring beyond the ordinary!"
I took that to heart and many of those who are closest to me are not blood related to me. This belief has been passed down to my two sons who have close relationships with others when family failed them. My oldest son just started his second year of college this week and I has brought out the nostalgia in me. I am just so thankful that I can share this with you finally after all these years.
You had a huge impact on my life even after only knowing you for a year. Thank you.
Dannett Charlet Frey
homegourmet@msn.com
Post a Comment