CPT David French returned Wednesday night from his year-long tour of duty in Iraq. He was deployed last October and last saw his family in May while on a short leave. Both his kids attend Zion and I've been fortunate to become friends with his sweet and hilarious wife Nancy (learn more about her HERE). She told me last week she was expecting him home early and they wanted to surprise the kids, who weren't expecting him home until next month. Nancy drove to Ft. Benning to pick him up on Thursday without telling the kids what was up. Then she & David drove straight to school Friday morning to surprise both children in their classrooms.
Several teachers, the principal and a few close friends were all in the hallway watching (and weeping) as he appeared in his daughter's classroom first. The look of shock on her face is not something I'll ever forget. She just sat frozen in disbelief for about 20 seconds before he walked over and buried her in a bear hug. They were both crying as her classmates applauded.
Next it was time for his son. He's in the second grade with the Ocho but in a different class (her's has a strict "no boys allowed" policy if you will remember). Nancy walked in without her son even looking up from the book he was reading. She eventually got his attention and said the surprise she had promised him had come early so she brought it to school. He casually said "Oh yeah! Where is it?" and looked up to see his dad standing in the doorway. He immediately jumped out of his seat and into his arms.
And I. Was. Spent. It was the second emotional homecoming I'd experienced in 4 days and I desperately needed to lie down.
We all stood there in the hallway crying and laughing and snapping photos. Then that sweet little boy, holding on to his daddy for dear life with tears in his eyes looked at the principal and sweetly asked if he could go home early. It was a moment of perfection.
As CPT French walked back down the hall with his family clinging to him, the Ocho's "princess" class was standing up and cheering for him. He thought that was pretty cool.
Throughout his deployment we would receive emails each month about his experiences via Nancy. I learned so much about what's really going on over there and what a difference we are truly making.
He was also the inspiration for Operation Send-A-Box which many of you participated in last year. I know without a doubt that hundreds of soldiers were touched and ministered to because of it.
More than anything, I've seen true courage and devotion to our country up close and personal. This family sacrificed a great deal to promote and defend freedom. I can't thank them enough for that.
In closing, I'll share something that proves one can have a sense of humor even on the front lines of a dangerous war. This is from one of his email updates last month. Enjoy:
Sabre Troopers live with guys — all guys — all the time. 2d Squadron, 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment, is a classic combat arms unit, and — as I’ve said in other editions of GBU — combat arms means all male.
Consequently, the guys are starved for any glimpse of a woman. (It is hilarious to watch when a female interpreter or female Soldier does visit our FOB. As the women through the dining facility, you watch guys’ heads pop up from their meals like prairie dogs popping up across the plain). In our area, you rarely even see Iraqi women, and when you do the are hidden behind dark veils. Even if they weren’t, we’re under strict orders not to make eye contact with, smile at, or talk to an Iraqi woman. Such an act of “dishonor” can actually cause violence.
Nowhere is the deprivation more complete than at our COPs. Stuck in the middle of the desert, far from television, video conferencing with girlfriends or wives, or even from the books and magazines that circulate the FOB, Troopers are left with little to nothing to see or do. So it’s no surprise that when one Trooper’s mother sent him a stack of “OK!” celebrity magazines, they were immediately snatched up, fought over, read, and reread.
Features like “Who wore it best?” or “Stars! Just like us!” sparked vicious debates about the relative hotness of Jessica Alba, Paris Hilton, or Jessica Biel. Two weeks ago, I visited “COP OK!” (really COP Imam Mansour) where the headquarters hut was full of well-read and dog-eared copies of the celebrity fanzine. A friend was flipping through Jamie Lynn Spears’ “adorable” baby pictures when he sat bolt upright.
“Dude, we have to do this!”
“Do what?”
“Check it out.”
He put the magazine in my face and pointed to a picture of one of a guy in a hammock reading OK. Underneath the caption identifying him was an invitation to “submit a picture of you reading OK.” My friend was psyched.
“If they print that doofus in a hammock, they’ll definitely print a picture of troops in the field.”
“I’m in.”
We grabbed the Commander of Lion Battery (our field artillery battery), took three magazines, walked out to an armored personnel carrier and took the attached picture. My friend sent it to OK the moment we got back to the FOB with the following message:
Dear Picture This...Attached are pictures of CPT Dave French, CPT John Romito, and myself, CPT Jon Norquist....some of the most battle-hardened patriots this country has to offer. In the picture we are taking a much needed break from constantly pursuing the enemy in support of a major offensive operation against Al Qaeda in Diyala Province, Iraq. It was nice to finally wash the blood off our hands and catch up on the latest celebrity child-bearing woes and get a glimpse of the red carpet glamour. Thanks for keeping us in the know!
Perfect. Just perfect. Within 24 hours came the reply from OK:
“Thank You! I’m going to put this in issue 36 of picture this! :) OK! mag is happy we can provide you with entertainment and appreciate everything our troops do for the USA!”
And there you have it. My mug is going to share the same page space with the most beautiful people in America (heck, the mot beautiful people in the WORLD). So check out newstands near you. Now that’s what I call supporting the troops!
That's him on the far left. Brave. Steadfast. And funny. That's my kind of hero.
Welcome home CPT French.



3 comments:
What a blessed homecoming! I would have been a wreck too.
Now that story and photo is just TOO much. I.Love.It!
Good grief, I'm a mess after that. I can only imagine the ugly cries that were going on at school.
I was crying just reading your descriptions of the reunions! If I had been there, I'd have had puddles under my feet.
Great story.
Kay
Post a Comment