Saturday, February 23, 2008

Looking Back and Skating Forward

I've had one of those Saturday's that just makes life worth living. Our entire family slept until 6:45am. That's unheard of around here. We shared a big breakfast and then stayed on the couch in our PJ's watching old home videos together until noon. It was Ocho's idea so we cozied up and watched her learning to pull up on the stairs, taking her first walk in the snow, singing her ABC's and naming all her best friends in her first Mother's Day Out class. We saw playgroup parties and birthday parties. We saw her potty training fit and her interpretive dance to the belly-button song. The kid was so cute. So sweet. So hilarious. She still is all of those things but you just cannot beat the toddler years. I know they're tough but those of you in the middle of them just know this. One day those moments will give you the best Saturday afternoon of your life.

We don't watch home movies very often these days. Along with all the laughter and sweetness there's always a sadness that follows. We are reminded of what we missed with Rebekah and what we'll never get to experience again. We're also reminded of what a blessing it was that we were able to experience them at all. OK. Enough of that. I did not come here to get all weepy.

After lunch Ocho and Handiman headed out for their big adventure of the day. Her Sunday School class was going ice skating and since I've never been what you would call skilled in the area of skating on ice, Dad was on duty. I took the opportunity to treat my friend Nicole to a matinee of "27 Dresses" and grab some Starbucks. I made it home the same time as the family and was relieved to see both of them walking without a limp. Then Handiman informs me that Ocho is a natural and picked it up really fast. What's with her and the skating skills? I did not see this coming at all. The child literally falls down when she's standing still.
So after the events of today I'm left to ponder how they go from this
to this
so quickly?
Tonight she & I talked about her day and she informed me that she likes ice skating better than roller skating because you can go really fast. Personally, I think she's going fast enough.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

How cute! Madison also has the God given ability to fall while standing on completely level ground. She has been BEGGING for roller skates. We have put her off for now but it's only a matter of time!