Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday? Sorta

It's been a good day for me. Not super but good. I fulfilled my duties as an American and placed my vote this morning. I heard that my friend Cole is having her 3rd boy (hee hee). I cooked dinner for a shut-in. And I managed to coerce a few of you to leave me a comment on my blogaversary post. Feeling quite accomplished, I sat tonight with pen in hand ready to take notes as AI wrapped up the nightmare we call the audition process in Atlanta. Even though I have been sick to death of the bad singers and attention-seeking loonies, I was looking forward to spending an hour tuning out the election coverage (with which I have been obsessed by the way) and vegging out for awhile.

First up was Josh "crazy-eyes" Jones who has a passion for glass. He had a decent voice despite his rather disturbing expressions and got a second chance to impress the judges by facing the wall. I honestly had no idea how they were going to vote and was waiting anxiously to see if he'd get that golden ticket when good old Arch from Fox17 decided it would be a great time to interrupt the broadcast to read an urgent weather bulletin to everyone in the Middle Tennessee area. It seemed that there was a newly issued tornado warning.......FOR KENTUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, if you don't live in the Metro area you're not aware that we are constantly subjected to Kentucky's weather woes. I'm sorry that Kentucky has a tornado warning and I do not wish anyone there ill will. Really I don't. But I don't live in Kentucky. Nobody near me lives in Kentucky. And yet we always have to hear about their storms and their snow and I'm sick of it. The kicker was that Arch went back to regular programming just about the time the show was going to commercial! So I ask you, how many lives did Arch save by not waiting that extra 10 seconds? And why can't Kentucky get their own TV stations? They are their own STATE for crying out loud. They have their own governor, their own congressional representatives, their own Miss American constestant. But sadly it seems, no TV stations. Way to go Arch. You the man. Sadly, I don't know if Josh "crazy-eyes" Jones was the man or not. Can somebody help me out?

The weather bulletins were not my only obstacle in my extensive American Idol Season 7 coverage. There were also those pesky election returns scrolling at the bottom of the screen and fading in and out. Every time they disappeared the volume increased by 10 decibels. Then the picture started blurring. I'm not sure what was going on but I'm almost positive that John McCain was behind it.

So anyway, here's how I saw it when I could actually see it:
Brooke (Miss South Florida Fair) was good. She was annoying but she could sing. And she had her priorities straight. For her, American Idol ranks right up there with God, Mom & Dad. SQUEEEEEEEEEE! I also liked Alexandrea, who brought her 93 year old great-grandmother and Amanda the Rock-n-Roll Nurse. I also liked the pretty girl with the raspy voice who lost her dad in a car accident. I didn't get her name thanks to Arch's weather map. She was awesome and her story made me cry. I hope she does well. Josiah from Tennessee was interesting. He had a good voice and a sad story but the accent thing will wear me out quickly.

All in all it was an interesting night and I'm relieved that the auditions are over. It's time to get to the real singers and elect our new leader....I mean superstar.

I sincerely hope everyone in Kentucky stays safe and that Arch doesn't lose his job. As for the election, may the best liberal democrat win because that seems to be the only option either party will have to offer. Now it looks like Middle Tennessee may be in for a rough night of storms. And Kentucky will have just have to hear all about it.

1 comment:

HunaBob said...

For what it's worth, we have tonight's episode on the DVR, sans weatherman.

You are most welcome to come to Tuscaloosa for a viewing party.

Bring chips.