First is Operation Send-A-Box. I wanted everyone here know that I did indeed make my goal of 25 boxes thanks to dear friends and family who are probably reading this right now. I certainly appreciate you but I thought you might like to hear from someone a little more directly affected by your generosity. I received an update from David French via Nancy yesterday. He, along with a good number of soldiers from Camp Caldwell, just returned from a 33 day mission spent rooting al Qaeda out of one of their last strongholds in Iraq. Here is a small excerpt:
".......Operation Send-a-Box is starting to make a difference. We have almost 300 packages to distribute already (we’re giving them out to the lowest ranked troops first), and — thanks to the remarkable generosity of our dear friends John and Jean Kingston — we have 1,100 new towels. Our filthy and weary troopers were thrilled to return to packages and clean towels, which they’ve already put to good use in the greatest invention since the wheel, penicillin, and Apple Computers — our brand-spanking-new Army shower tent with always-hot water."
In other completely unrelated news, my husband was informed a couple of days ago that I'm looking for a cute bloggy nickname for him. It took him all of 2 seconds to make a suggestion that I deemed the winner. For those unaware of his tendency to injure himself and contract mysterious and rare illnesses, you might not see the humor in the selection. Those who know him well, however, will find it both funny & eerily prophetic. He is now and forevermore known on this blog as HandiMan. (*Disclaimer: I am not in any way making fun of the handicapped. I am making fun of my husband who one day will in fact be handicapped if he continues to shoot himself with nail guns, dismember himself with saws, contract poison ivy in his eye and play organized or disorganized sports with his equally accident prone friend Eric.)
My reasons for posting early today are twofold. One, I don't particularly want to dust and vacuum which is what I had set aside this time to do. Also, I've got big plans later today and simply won't have time to fit it in. You see, I have a photo shoot and dinner with The Chief. By photo shoot, I mean my friend Michelle is snapping a few pictures of me for something I don't think I've mentioned here before. Late last year, I submitted an article to Lifeway via my friend Gena a/k/a "The Chief". It was purchased by Home Life Magazine to be published at a later date. What that date is, I have no idea. But it might be getting close because they contacted me for a photo. Since the only photos I have of myself include a Tin Man costume, a Santa hat and wide variety of t-shirts and sweat pants, I decided to have a professional help me out. Dinner with The Chief is completely unrelated to the article. We simply like to get together whenever we can for dinner. It's not easy since The Chief is a big-time editor and travels the country doing editor things. We finally found a night when we are both free and jumped at the chance. I love my friend The Chief because she's sweet, smart, funny and encouraging. And she has that look about her that impresses people and makes anyone with her seem equally impressive. I love her so much that I'm risking not seeing "Lost" in real time tonight. Oh don't worry. I don't love her enough to miss it entirely. I'm recording it.
And last but not least, I wanted to share something from my new BFF Lysa TerKeurst's blog. When I read this , it spoke to my heart about a secret addiction I've been struggling with. It ministered to me almost as much as Melissa Radke's post about God's Sustaining Power. I hope all of my friends who struggle in this area will be blessed as well.
**Edited to notify you that Lifeway called this afternoon. My article will be published in the June issue of Home Life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
My comment points:
1. Congratulations on the publishing, I am SO proud of you!
2. HandiMan is just TOO funny
3. I also hate to dust and clean
4. I, too, might even be a rockstar!
OK-- so what if a girl is struggling with the same secret addiction as you and Lysa TerKeurst... Is it really relevant that no children are involved as "the pawn" to use as an excuse???!!!??? Ha!
I confess: My name is Michelle-- and I, too, am a closet Rock Star... :)
Post a Comment