Thursday, February 14, 2008

Miss Me?

I am a creature of habit. The smallest change in my daily routine renders me completely useless and unable to function. Since last Friday both Handiman and Little Ocho have developed a form of the black plague (known in some circles as a cold/sinus infection) and turned our home into something resembling a quarantined TB ward. Yesterday my turn finally came and today I feel like Nick Nolte's mug shot. Handiman has been in the recliner hacking away for the better part of the week and on Tuesday Ocho was home from school. She returned yesterday only to have Thursday & Friday called off due to widespread illness. Having all these germ-infested people in the house has really busted my groove therefore I've been neglectful in posting. For that I am profoundly sorry. I hesitated to blog only because I knew that whatever I wrote would be drastically influenced by my need to get these hacking, sniffling, germ-infested people out of the house. I didn't want to say something I would later regret. I love them with all my heart but they seriously need to go away. At least for a few hours.

So, what have we missed? The surprising results of the democratic primaries? Roger Clemens testifying on the hill? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Let's be honest. The big news is the end of the writer's strike!!!!!!!!!! It's finally over and this means The Office will be back in a month and Lost will not end this season after 8 episodes. I was thrilled beyond measure until I realized that the powers-that-be decided it would be great idea to schedule the only two shows I watch on the same night....at the same time. Terrific.

In other happy news, our brand-spankin new Cracker Barrel just opened down the street and Super Target is coming in a few short weeks. Of course, the housing market stinks and we have no money so I guess I'll just live vicariously through Big Nanny who'll be visiting both at least once a week.

I guess I'm a glass-half-empty girl this week. Sorry about that.

So, last night American Idol picked their top 24 and I have established my favorites. I love Brooke the G-rated Nanny:
David Archuletta the lost Jonas Brother (he's my favorite favorite)
Michael Johns the Austalian who looks alot like The Hair Whisperer
and Syesha. She doesn't have a nickname yet. I'll work on it.


I also know who I don't care for. Namely Danny Noriega.

I know I haven't heard him sing much but I can already tell he's gonna be all over my last nerve. Also, I'd like to share a conversation our family had about him last night:

Me: That guy looks exactly like me when I was 8.
Ocho: Really?
Me: Yep. I had that same haircut. It's called a pixie.
Ocho: A pixie? Does he believe in fairies?
Handiman: Yes. Yes he does.

Thankfully, Ocho did not question Handiman's answer and took it at face value. I scolded him for saying it. Then I realized I was thinking it too.

So, it's Valentine's Day and I feel I should address it. Handiman and I opted not to purchase cards or gifts this year to save money. Of course, Ocho received the gift that keeps on giving, another Webkinz. It's a dognation named Polka Dot. (Dognation is Little Ocho speak for Dalmatian. If any of you corrects her on this you'll have to answer to me.) Since we're all sick and trapped in this Petri dish of a house the day doesn't feel particularly romantic or special. Perhaps I'll eat some chocolate and pop "You've Got Mail" in to get into the spirit of things. It's the least I can do to honor such a sacred holiday.

I know this post was disjointed and pointless. You would be too if you felt like this:

4 comments:

Nicole @ Four Real said...

Ok, so I am with you EXACTLY with all the favs for AI and the one, lets just say, weird guy. I am sorry you are all so sick!

Anonymous said...

Brianna used to sing: Jesus is the rock of my dalmation and I never corrected her.

Tammy said...

Nick Nolte has been hanging out at our house too....hope you all feel better!

jam'n bell said...

You've hit it on the nose. Those are the people I am rooting for, too! ...especially that little 16 year old dynamo.