Wednesday, February 6, 2008

What does Jesus see in me?

I have a low tolerance for inconvenience. The past 24 hours have proven how severe this problem is. Allow me to recount the events as they have transpired:

It all started around 9:00pm. Because I'm a caring and concerned parent, and because I didn't want to have to haul myself up the stairs at midnight to comfort a screaming child, I decided to put Lydia in bed with us last night. All was well for a few hours. That's when I was awakened by the sirens. They were deafening and terrifying. Fear washed over me in an instant and my mind raced with what would be the quickest and best course of action. That's when it occurred to me. We don't have sirens in these parts. That noise was my husband snoring in a fashion that can only be likened to the Queen Mary sounding its horn when sailing into port. I delicately leaned over the slumbering cherub in between us and slugged him right in the side. He stopped. For about 30 seconds. Then she started shifting and digging her bony elbows into my back. I was left awake to not only ponder the threat of impending doom howling outside our window but also how quiet it was when I was young, carefree and single. We were up and down most of the night watching weather and shifting Lyd from one bed to the other before finally settling in around 3:00am. My alarm went off at 5:00. And it just so happens that Wednesday is my day to work at school.

I dragged myself out of bed and somehow managed to get us out the door on time only to discover that my gas tank was empty. After stopping for gas we had about a 5 minute window of opportunity to make it on time and being late was simply not an option. You see today, as luck would have it, was Lydia's day to lead her class devotional and that always takes place first thing in the morning. I will admit I was speeding but I was also praying that Jesus would have mercy since the whole reason I was breaking the law was so my daughter could bring The Word. Just as the prayer left my lips I saw the brake lights up ahead in the distance. It seems that there were power lines down from the storm and I was going to have a little time to assess my willingness to commit crimes in Jesus' name. Yep. He gave me about 25 minutes in traffic to ask for forgiveness.

After our hour-long commute to school I was met by Lydia's sweet teacher who said she had been praying for us and was worried we had been affected by the storm. Thankfully, she actually lives a life pleasing to God and waited for us before beginning the day. Lyd did her devotional and I was given my project for the day. It involved red paint and 28 first graders. I don't remember much about it since I was drifting in and out of consciousness. I hope it went well.

Once we were home I decided to rest up before heading into the homestretch of our typical Wednesday which includes Lydia's dance class and church. I planted myself in the recliner for a 10 minute break and turned on an episode of The Cosby Show. 30 minutes later I woke up and freaked out that once again we were running late. I got Lyd dressed for dance and only made her cry twice by snapping at her for wanting her hair in pigtails. Why she would want someone in my state of mind styling her hair was beyond me. She had to know that wouldn't be a good idea. On our way to dance I apologized for being a grouch and told her I thought it would be best if we skipped church tonight. (Sorry to my fellow choir members for bailing on you but trust me when I say I only had your best interest at heart.)

After making the decision to spend the evening relaxing I turned on the news for the first time all day. I had heard the numbers of fatalities across the south but I hadn't seen the damage. People not so far from here lost everything they own and many lost their lives. It certainly put my whiny, grouchy day into perspective.

It's high time I count my blessings, so here goes. I'm thankful tonight for my snoring husband, my full gas tank, my safe albeit long drive to school, red paint, The Cosby Show and my bony, ballet-dancing, forgiving daughter. And most of all Jesus who delivers me from speeding tickets even when I deserve them and doesn't base my salvation on my choir attendance. Oh. And I'm also thankful that Hillary Clinton isn't president.....yet.

2 comments:

Nicole @ Four Real said...

I am exhausted reading this and if it makes you feel any better, I was up with scared kids and a snoring husband too! Maybe next time we can put all of them in one house and you and I can go to the other house and sleep! Ha Ha!

Big Nanny said...

Was there something loud happening in the middle of the night last night? I slept like a log and didn't hear a thing. Really!