The end is near. Next week we will have our newest American Idol and since only 2 out of every 6 Idols actually have careers, it might be the last time we ever see any of these people. So let's enjoy them while we can shall we?
David Archuleta
Paula chose "And So It Goes" which happens to be written by my favorite songwriter of all time, Mr. William Joel. Archie did his typical good job and sounded beautiful. He also squinted. Alot. The squinting isn't new, it's just something I've held off commenting on until now. Because we're headed to the finals and the gloves need to come off.
In the next round he chose Chris Brown's "With You". Now, in order to properly commentate I'm about to let you in on a dirty little secret of mine, but I don't want it getting out so I'll speak quietly. I listen to mainstream pop radio. And I love Chris Brown. Having said that, Archie should not now, nor should he ever in the future attempt to sing and dance to a mainstream R&B song. Because it's just all kinds of wrong and I was a wee bit embarrassed for him. It was alot like watching Beaver Cleaver trying to sing "Billie Jean".
Next was the producer's choice and Seacrest said they chose songs that would stretch the contestants. For Archie they chose Dan Fogleberg's "Longer". Hmmmmmmmmm. Yes, I see how choosing a sappy ballad might trip little Archie up, but what do ya know? He sang it beautifully. Yawn.
Syesha
Randy chose an Alicia Keys song and she did OK. I think she has really proven herself as a talented singer but I'm not sure she's pop star material. She just seems better suited for theater and what do you know.....
Her second song proved it. She chose to sing "Fever" complete with a prop chair and sultry, melodramatic choreography. Simon tried to insult her by calling it cabaret but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what she was going for.
The producers choice for her was some song from the "Happy Feet" soundtrack that I had never heard. It seemed manic and weird and therefore sealed her fate. So long Syesha.
David Cook
Simon chose "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face". This is one of the most beautiful songs in the free world and I was excited to hear him sing it. Now, was it just me or did it seem like all of his songs tonight were a full 2 minutes shorter than the others? Just when he'd get going it would be over. Still the 20 seconds I heard were awesome.
He chose "Dare You to Move" by Switchfoot and I thought it was a great choice. Once again, it felt like it was over before it got going.
The producers chose "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" and in doing so saved the best for last. I thought it was wonderful. And it seemed almost long enough to fully enjoy. He is a great vocalist with true showmanship. And he doesn't squint.
So for the results show tomorrow night I'm predicting Syesha & Cook in the finals. Just kidding. But that would be some awesome television.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Wouldn't your final two be totally awesome. COOK!
Side note: I'm so glad I could amuse you with my blue lacy-fringed collar dress from 1978. My neck itched just looking at that thang!
Post a Comment