Monday, May 5, 2008

Simon Says "Will you take 50 cents for that?"

This past weekend was chock full of fun and excitement and quite frankly, it sucked the life right out of me. Friday I spent the day getting ready for our neighborhood garage sale on Saturday. Friday night was spent at church for our children's choir spring musicals dress rehearsal. Handiman, Little Ocho and I were up bright and early Saturday morning for our 7:00am garage sale start time. This year we were joined by 2 of my peeps, Nicole & Andrea.

We spent the day together hocking our trash to eager customers. As is his garage sale custom, Handiman waited for the shoppers to arrive before deciding to pull random things off the shelves and slap price tags on them. He sold a door, a box of light fixtures, a curtain rod and some lamp shades, all leftover from various houses he's built using this technique. I figured if it worked for him perhaps I could find something randomly lying around. I located the perfect item, strategically placed the tag on it and waited. But nobody took the bait.Andrea managed to unload a Barbie jeep, 2 bicycles and a stereo system from 1982. Nicole sold a mattress set, toddler bed and rocking chair but simply could not get rid of her "Managing Your Fertility" handbook. Given recent events, perhaps God thinks she should hold onto that. I'm just sayin.

Handiman & I came out pretty well too. We had sold just about everything by noon and all three families made some pretty good money. I just enjoyed hanging out with my Fruits for the day. It was also pretty cool that they were with me when the mail was delivered since, much to my surprise, Lifeway mailed me 3 advance copies of the Home Life issue that includes my article. Ruby Dooby & Papa Gator were also visiting at the time so I got to share it with everyone and have a "Hey Look At Me I'm In A Magazine With Mandisa!" moment.

Once we made it through Trash for Cash Saturday it was time for Simon Says Sunday.

Simon Says was the title of the kid's spring musical and even though we've been working on it since January, I wasn't completely convinced they were going to pull it off. We had a full day of dress rehearsal Sunday afternoon and it was a little rough, but just like always, the kids did an amazing job. I heard from several people that it was the best one our church has ever done. I was just excited that I could take some breaks here and there from working to watch Little Ocho. She seemed to be having a blast. I'm sure she was giving it a little extra effort since there were some VIP's in the audience. Last week at school she invited her teacher, Mrs. Wahlman to attend and she graciously said she would. Much to Ocho's surprise she showed up with her husband, who just happens to be the Headmaster of her school. In Ocho's world, he's the equivalent of the President or the Pope.
So now that the junk has been sold and the music has been sung I'm going to lie down. I've never been so happy to see Monday in my whole life.

1 comment:

Nicole @ Four Real said...

OH my gosh! Could I look any fatter? I think I am going to join the gym tomorrow! I am pregnant though!