Last night was one of those nights I look forward to all year. I anticipate the songs and the crowd reaction and the feelings of excitement and joy I know are coming. And, by the way, the words "American Idol" have absolutely nothing to do with it.
Every year for the past 5 or so, our choir and pastor have been invited to lead a Wednesday night service at a local African-American church called Limestone Baptist. It's a small congregation with an infectious love for Christ and the sweetest spirit you can imagine. Our choir can rock out at home but something happens when we get within those walls. Last night was no exception. It was an amazing night of worship and fellowship and a wonderful reminder of how familiar the family of God really is. I'm already looking forward to next year.
When it was over, I headed home to watch the AI finale. Remarkably, I made it home without hearing the winner on the radio and was able to watch the entire show unspoiled. I am pleased to say I was entertained and genuinely surprised at the ending. There were those moments when I was embarrassed for the contestants and wondering why they obviously hire theme park producers to stage their shows. Especially given Simon's distaste for them. That's the only explanation for the silly way they had the David's staring each other down at the beginning and the horrible step-touch dance routines they force the top 12 to perform. I would give anything to know what Jason Castro and David Cook were thinking during those.
The highlights for me were as follows:
All of my favorites from the 90's were there and proving they still have skills. Donna Summer, Bryan Adams, ZZ Top, George Michael. It did annoy me to realize that the contestants were singing with artists their mom's love.
I am generally annoyed by all things Mike Meyers but I have to admit I chuckled when he teased Archie about wearing a pull-up.
Chikizie!!! Michael Johns!!! I missed them.
Jimmy Kimmel's Sanjaya joke and Simon montage were funny. You just can't go wrong with a Sanjaya joke.
I enjoyed Carrie Underwood and instinctively wanted to pick up the phone and vote for her. I love that she is still so loyal to the show and appreciates where she got her big break.
The Jonas brothers were terrific as were there new haircuts. Such nice boys. And they tithe!
Gladys Knight and the new Pips were hysterical. But not as hysterical as....
RINALDO!!!! I had a feeling he would be the reject returnee of the year but I didn't want to get my hopes up. I don't know who arranged "Brother's Forever" for a marching band but whoever they are, they deserve a raise.
And then to top it all off, my man David Cook took the prize. I had resigned myself to the fact that Archie was going to walk away with it but when Simon actually humbled himself and apologized to Cook, I was reminded that miracles do indeed happen. I loved Cook's reaction and how gracious he was to Archie. Well done!! And Mom, I hate to say it but I TOLD YOU SO!!! (My mother has been a trash talkin' Archie fan since day one so she totally deserved that.)
Once the show was over, I checked my email to discover the news of the night that kept me awake for hours afterward. I am just devastated for Steven Curtis Chapman and his entire family. I can't begin to imagine how much they are hurting. Please pray for them, especially for their son. It's hard to imagine God's plan in situations like this but there is comfort in knowing He has one. As I prayed for them last night I was reminded of the worship experience only hours before. He was still the same God and deserves the same glory. And He still speaks peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Yes, I too love some Limestone worship. I will be there next year! I'm sure PT's preachin' was just that...PREACHIN' Am I right?
Post a Comment