Wednesday, April 16, 2008

American Idol - Top 7

When I read a few weeks ago that AI planned to have the contestants sing Mariah Carey songs I couldn't take it seriously. I couldn't imagine the likes of Brooke, Jason or even David C. finding anything that would suit them and I was a little nervous that MC would show up to her mentoring session in a bikini. Because that seems to be how she rolls these days. Fortunately, she came fully clothed and everyone seemed to choose their song well. Here's what I thought:

David A. - He picked a good song for his voice. I know this because it sounded exactly like the last 6 songs he's sung on the show. Don't get me wrong. I still think he's talented and adorable and cute and cuddly.

Carly - She was OK. Whatever. I'm over her and I'm ready for her to be gone. I heard a local DJ this morning remark that she looks like a Muppet when she sings. And that is an image I will never be able to shake.

Syesha - I wasn't too familiar with the song she sang but I thought she was better than usual. I still get the feeling that she has a very high opinion of herself and if given the opportunity would love to share it with all of us. It's just a hunch.

Brooke - I love me some Brooke but I was nervous for her on this one. It seemed I wasn't the only one since she fumbled a little towards the end. Overall, she pulled it off and I thought it was pretty. I felt really bad for her missing her sister's wedding. That just didn't seem right.

Kristy Lee - Ummmm....I sorta thought she was OK. I don't know. It's like, once I get it in my head that I'm not necessarily rooting for a contestant, I tend to be a little unforgiving. There really isn't anything she can do at this point to win me over, but she was OK. She did not, however, give me goose bumps. I'm pretty sure she gave them to MC though, because she kept telling everyone who would listen.

Jason - I thought his performance was one of the coolest and most original of the night. I really loved it and I'm not sure what Randy's problem was.

And the winner is........

David Cook - I don't even know what to say. If I were asked to pick the one song that I thought he should never attempt under any circumstances, it would have been that one. Seriously. The infectious pop sound of the original is ingrained in my head and I couldn't imagine there would be any way that even he could make it cool. And yet, he did. And then he cried because of his brother in the audience. And have I mentioned how much I love his hair these days? Dude is soooooo going to be a star.

Seeing how well the boys did this week made me miss Michael Johns even more. I'm thinking it will be Carly's night to bid farewell with Syesha and Kristy in the bottom 3. After last week, though, it's anybody's guess. Personally, I'd keep all of them and agree to bring back Sanjaya if Paula would go away.

No comments: