Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day......Wood Style

There is a famous story in the Wood household about Papa Gator that we all love to tell. It seems that when Handiman and his brother Greg (Harleyman) were young lads and prone to mischief, Gator had an idea that I believe was nothing short of brilliant. He had a large pile of dirt delivered to their home and dumped in their yard. He handed Handiman & Harleyman a shovel and told them to get busy.

Moving the dirt pile.

From one side of the yard to the other.

Brilliant.

When they were done, they were instructed to move it back. There was never a great landscaping plan for the dirt. It was simply there to keep the two of them occupied and out of trouble. Handiman has never forgotten that summer and I've always known that even though Ocho isn't really prone to mischief she too will be moving her own pile of dirt in the near future. Just because we think it would be hilarious.

Well, it turns out she'll probably enjoy it. Yesterday she came home from school and asked if she could go in the backyard and dig a hole. I'm thinking she wants to play gardener or make mud pies so I said "Sure! Why not? Just keep it close to your play set and don't get too dirty." I looked out after a few minutes to find her with a shovel (the one her father bought her to match his) digging a pretty sizable chasm. Today, after finishing her homework she headed back outside without a word and started digging.

So, my friends I have found the ultimate in summer entertainment. She's getting great exercise, enjoying the outdoors and learning a trade. Papa Gator will be proud.







3 comments:

Ashley said...

When I was her age, a friend of mine and I got the bright idea to have an underground playhouse...so we started digging. I never remember getting a hole any bigger than a bucket. I also was afraid I might really reach China.

Anonymous said...

There is a SIZEABLE dirt pile behind my house from which you could borrow, I'm sure. But I will only support that venture for Handiman - not the sweet little Ocho! Charging admission to watch him move the dirt back and forth could be a great way to pick up some extra dollars! I bet you'd have some takers!

The Chief

Nicole @ Four Real said...

I have three children here that need something to keep them busy. Just let me know how long you need them for and I will be sure to send them over with their own shovels! :)