Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Feeling Connected

This morning as we were racing to get out the door Little Ocho casually mentioned that their Bible lessons this week have centered on Heaven. As she was getting dressed she asked if she could take a picture of Rebekah to school "since she lives there." I thought it was very sweet, and even though her class has already seen Rebekah's picture and heard her story I obliged and told her to take the one on her dresser. It's one of the two them together with "Sisters" written across the bottom. I figured she might enjoy showing it off. She shrugged and said "well....how about all of them?" I immediately knew she was referring to the album I put together of the photos we took in the hospital. It includes pictures of her in ICU, being held by family and close friends, having her diaper changed, getting a bath and all dressed up in a few outfits. It also has pictures of her burial dress and her grave marker. I was afraid it might overwhelm the kids, but I also didn't want to disappoint her so I insisted she ask her teacher first.

When she walked into the room she handed the album over and her teacher smiled and said "Oh Lydia! I'm so glad you remembered!" Apparently, they'd already discussed it. I watched as all the children gathered around her desk and studied each photo. I listened as Mrs. Wahlman explained that Rebekah was born on this earth and given a body just like all of us. And just like all of us, she was given a spirit. She told them how Jesus took her spirit to live with him in this beautiful place called Heaven. She talked about the streets and the mansions and just like she does with every story she tells, she made it vivid and tangible. She told them how Rebekah doesn't cry anymore, she doesn't hurt, she doesn't get hungry, lonely or afraid. She doesn't sin and isn't sinned against. Because Heaven is perfect. Because Jesus is perfect. And now Rebekah has been made perfect too.

I looked over to see Lydia beaming with pride. She knows there is a place far better than any place mortal man can imagine. And she's got connections.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Precious!

Got you on our prayer list at church. Hope all is going well with you this week!