I've shared with you all my love of lists. I like to start each day with one because I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment that comes with making a giant check mark beside each task. I must confess that my day inevitably ends in feelings of defeat because I have opted to read blogs and watch Paula Deen in lieu of scrubbing toilets. These days, however, I have a new sense of purpose. Since my days of homemaker duties may soon be put on indefinite hold I've decided to get a few things done around here. I've also decided I should relish each moment and allow each task to teach me and make me a better person. Here's what I did today:
I drank my coffee, watched the weather report, packed 2 lunches, made a grocery list, assembled coupons, printed off a Google map for Handiman, got Ocho dressed for school and headed off on our 30 minutes trek to ZCA. (I learned that I'll miss this time more than anything. I love listening to her read me books, have pretend conversations on my cell phone and sing along to Carrie Underwood. I will not miss listening to track #6 over and over and over and over again. I used to enjoy track #6. Not so much anymore.)
I did my weekly grocery shopping at the Super WalMart in Columbia. (I learned I will miss shopping at the Super WalMart. I go there because it's close to Ocho's school, I always get a good parking place, it's never crowded and it has everything I need. I have dated Super Target but I'm married to Super WalMart.)
I cleaned out my fridge. (I learned that for poor people, we waste way too much food. I also learned I have some awesome leftovers which were a gift from RubyDooby's Sunday lunch yesterday.)
I faxed and emailed my resume to a few places and then completed half of a 24-chapter MS Excel tutorial to brush up on my computer skills for all the awesome job opportunities sure to come my way. (I learned I am way stupider than I was 7 years ago. Way, way stupider.)
I received a call from Handiman informing me his boss was "making him play in a golf tournament this afternoon at the Governor's Club". He sweetly requested I meet him 15minutes up the road with his clubs. (I learned that using the word "frustrated" as opposed to "angry" makes your husband think you're not really mad.)
I visited Rebekah's grave. (I was driving home and passed the cemetery. I haven't been in months and just felt drawn there today. It was sunny, warm, breezy and beautiful. I cried, sang a hymn, said a prayer and blew her a kiss. I then walked a few feet over and visited Elisha's grave. I thought of the two of them at the throne of grace and cried again. I got in the car to drive away and learned that God loves to be in the details. Rich Mullins was on radio singing "Hold Me Jesus".)
I ironed 10 of Handiman's shirts and did 2 loads of laundry. (I didn't learn anything except ironing is ridiculous, pointless and a tool of Satan to make me embittered.)
I drove to pick up Ocho from school. (I learned that Hilary is probably going to win Pennsylvania and Obama may be headed for another controversy regarding his friendship with a terrorist. Thank you Sean Hannity. I will miss you too.)
I took Ocho and Molly for neighborhood stroll. (I learned that Molly can pee in 20 consecutive lawns without missing a beat and Ocho can ride her scooter better than she can walk.)
I made my blog rounds. (I learned that BooMama has rearranged her furniture, Big Mama has posted a recipe which uses the word "creole". This renders it useless to me unless I have sinister plans to murder Handiman. I also learned that none of my friends have updated today including Big Nanny. Where is her Messy Monday project? Slacker.)
I read Booth Farley's blog. (I learned she is expecting again which makes me happy and sad all at the same time. I also learned that her post today was like God writing me a personal letter of encouragement. I left her a comment to let her know just that.)
I decided to write a post. (I learned that even when I don't have anything at all to say, I can fill up a lot of space.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Love,
Melissa
Post a Comment