Monday, April 28, 2008

Drama with my Mama

Friday night shortly after 7:30 I received a call from my mom. She sounded in a panic and told me she had just dialed 911. After coming in from mowing the lawn, her heart started racing and her blood pressure shot through the roof. Since she lost her own mother to a heart attack at a very young age and suffers herself from high cholesterol, the fear of heart problems always plagues her. The ambulance arrived and decided to take her in so I rushed to her house to pick up my step-dad and we headed to the emergency room. Fortunately, it turned out to just be a problem with some medication she has been taking and there was no heart damage. They released her around 11:30 and I spent the night at her house just to be on the safe side.

Now that I have all the details out of the way and you are all aware that she's OK, let me just say a thing of two about Friday night's events.

First, she had a really cute male nurse. He looked a lot like how I picture Zac Efron will look in 10 years if he lifts weights. Due to the tenseness of the situation, his presence provided a little levity. Mom thought about feigning unconsciousness to prolong her stay but then decided against it. Her doctor resembled Robert Reich. Or a slightly taller version of the dwarf on Seinfeld. But her nurse? Very cute.

Secondly, if you think you need to go to the emergency room and your insurance will help cover the cost, call an ambulance. I've had a lot of emergency room experience over the past 13 years thanks to my husband and I can tell you it's the only way to go. If we had taken her in ourselves, she'd probably still be in the waiting room. You also tend to get better treatment and cuter male nurses.

Also, when a doctor tells you after extensive testing that you did not, in fact, have a heart attack or a stroke, be happy about it. Don't say things like "I sure hope that doctor knows what he's doing." or "I'm not so sure this is right" and then continue to be stressed out and riddled with anxiety causing your blood pressure to spike again just so you can say "See! I told you he was wrong!" thus proving that you are perfectly capable of diagnosing yourself. Because, you aren't. Not that I know anybody who would ever do such a thing. I'm just sayin.

Lastly, if you're over 65 and are financially capable, hire someone to mow your lawn for cryin out loud.

3 comments:

Nicole @ Four Real said...

Oh my gosh! I am glad she is o.k.! I agree about the ambulance. It is special treatment! And if you want my opinion, if you have the means at any age, hire someone to mow the lawn! :)

Big Nanny said...

Ms. Emma glad your feeling better. I bet you didn't realize that when she started this blog that she was going to blog your every move. When you were in the ambulance, I hope you weren't thinking...Oh,no Teresa's going to blog about it.

Tammy said...

Oh my goodness! Pooooor, pooor, Ms. Emma. How come there were never Zac Effron looking nurses in the units I've worked in over the years. Just ugly old men???

Give Ms. Emma my get well soon regards and for heaven sake, tell her I said to stop mowing the grass.