While signing her in and answering the usual questions about insurance and address changes, I was met with something completely unexpected: the specimen cup. It's a big reality check when you realize your child is old enough to pee in a cup. I wasn't prepared for that and honestly it almost made me cry. Does that make me weird? My tears quickly gave way to laughter. I won't even go into the mayhem that ensued on each of our three trips to the bathroom to attempt to fill that blasted cup. Let's just suffice it to say the task still remains unaccomplished. Peeing on command is a skill that is developed over time.
So, after that lovely experience we headed back to the exam room for the showdown at high noon. Actually it was 9:15 and the nurse was very sweet. I got busy praising the Ocho for her bravery and sweet attitude. I also reminded her about "Kung Fu Panda" and made her promise she wouldn't scream. When the time inevitably came she gripped my hand, closed her eyes tightly and whispered "Kung Fu Panda, Kung Fu Panda, Kung Fu Panda....." until it was finally over. When the needle pricked her thumb she jumped, shrugged her shoulders and said nonchalantly "Hmmmph......that's not so bad". Then she flashed a rather cocky smile.
I sat back with a sigh of relief that the hard part was over. The doctor came in, completed his exam, made some small talk and then dropped the bomb. She'd need to get a booster shot for her chicken pox vaccine. I will admit I wasn't taken completely by surprise. Friends had warned me this might be coming but I just chose to live in denial and hope that my doctor would be the one physician bucking the system and not offering the shots. Not so much. Upon realizing a needle was in her immediate future, her face dropped, tears welled up in her eyes and I readied myself for the hissy fit that was sure to come. A few seconds later the nurse re-entered the room and hurriedly prepared her arm for the injection. Ocho tensed up and started having a mild freak out when I reminded her of Kung Fu Panda. She said those magic words again and this time she didn't even feel the needle. It was over before she knew it and she boldly stated "Well, that was anything at all!" On our way out the door she got a little smug. "Mommy, those shots weren't bad. They didn't even hurt. I mean, what's the big deal anyway?"
She received a glowing report from the doctor per usual. She'd kind of famous in his rotations because she never, ever gets sick. I think she's only had one sick visit in her entire life. He's always telling her how she's got the smallest file in his office and being the perfectionist that she is she's quite proud of that accomplishment. She's grown accustomed to his admiration and it was in full force yesterday. There wasn't one question he had that she couldn't answer correctly. "Do you eat your vegetables?" Check. "Do you like to run and play outside?" Of course. "Are you strong enough to push my arms down?" Got it covered. "Do you work hard in school?" Straight A's dude. "Do you drink lots of milk?" Uh oh.
I guess I could have warned her that question was coming but why? I know my child and if there's one thing she can't stand it's disappointing someone in authority. I knew he'd ask. I knew her answer. And I knew she'd feel guilty. (insert evil laugh here) She stopped drinking milk when she was 3 and nothing we have done could convince her it's worth her time. In fact, she makes herself gag just smelling it. We've tried flavored milk. We've tried bribery. We've tried scolding and telling her she's the only kid in the universe that doesn't like it and that makes her weird. Still, nothing could convince her. That is until the doctor said "Lydia, that disappoints me." Bingo!
We headed to Wal-Mart and picked up a small bottle of chocolate milk. When we got home I poured a little in cup and told her "No Kung Fu Panda until it's gone." She stalled awhile, sniffed it, begged me to let her use a straw (why do kids think straws make things better?) and then accepted defeat. She summoned her courage and took one big gulp. Then she flashed that same cocky smile. "Mommy, that's not too bad. I kind of liked it. No big deal."
So the Ocho faced her greatest fears and conquered them in a span of 3 hours with a little courage and Kung Fu Panda.
Speaking of fear, I been facing one of my own.
Since signing up the She Speaks conference, I've been a little anxious. I'm not great at meeting new people or trying new things. I never, ever attend a women's retreat at my church without the back-up of a few of my peeps. I never attend Bible studies or banquets unless I know I've got at least one friend in the mix. So why on earth am I agreeing to fly to a city I've never been to and attend a conference with a bunch of women I've never met to try and do something I've never felt capable of doing? Because God told me to and then He sent me a ticket. He is so bossy.
I received my itinerary over the weekend and found my roommate's name. I figured it might help if I tried to connect with her before we arrive. I scoured the conference blogger list and found her. I sent her an email over the weekend hoping she wouldn't think I was some strange blog-stalker freak or pathetic, desperate, insecure woman. Of course, I am both of those things but she didn't seem to mind. Last night, she sent me the sweetest, most encouraging email and truly set my heart at ease. From what I 've learned so far (from stalking her blog) she's a gifted writer, a wonderful wife & mother, a fun friend (she has a girlfriend group!) and a sold-out servant of Christ. Tonight I've got a new friend and I'm not so afraid anymore. So I ask you, what's the big deal anyway?
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7


4 comments:
Yay, Ocho! We have our well visits coming up this month and next month. I usually hear the finger sticking question begin about a week before with slight panic attacks also. I am hoping one day they will think it's not that bad.
You are going to have so much fun and be so blessed by the She Speaks conference. No big deal friend.
You are too funny. She is getting so grown up. Word to the wise: don't let Aunt Co ever take her to the Dr. Her file- not so thin.
Have fun at your conference! It will be wonderful.
Well, I've decided that since you are all nervous that I should go with you. I'm willing to give up my big weekend of VBS planning, decorating and caring for your BFF who is obviously going to wait until you're gone to have this baby! That's just the kind of friend that I am. Go ahead, book my flight and scooch over. I know how much you love to room with me:) We can stay up and talk allllll night long! Fun times.
Facing fears and attending She Speaks... AMEN, Sistah!
See you there.
Your blog is cute and fun to read!
**H**
(Heather)
Post a Comment