Thursday, June 26, 2008

Things I never thought I'd say

1. I own a pair of red shoes.

I bought them two weeks ago. It made me feel a little naughty. I mean, my mama didn't raise me to wear red shoes. Ever. But a couple of my more stylish friends informed me that the new navy blue dress I had purchased would look just darling with some red shoes. So I found a pair on clearance and I bought them. I haven't actually worn them yet. One step at a time people.

2. I yelled at someone at a customer service desk.

The She Speaks conference was a catalyst for many daring moves on my part, not the least of which was traveling by air all by my lonesome. And let me just say that I'm not a complainer by nature. If a waiter brings me the wrong food, I eat it. If a cashier shorts me a couple of coins, I overlook it. But when I discover the folks at United booked me on 2 different airlines with 2 different flight numbers at 2 different times on both my departing and arriving flights and then they proceed to convince me it's my fault and not theirs? Well, I raise my voice and cause a stink. I've never, ever done it before and while I didn't do anything that would cause Jesus to regret claiming me as His own, I did feel a little guilty and tried to make nice by complementing the rude airline employee's manicure. But before that, I let her have it.

3. I took 4 kids to McDonalds.

This week I've been helping my friend Nicole with her 3 oldest kids by taking them to VBS & then bringing them home. It's no big deal really and since things were going so well on the first day and I was wondering what all the stink is about having so many kids, I decided I'd treat them to lunch at Mickey D's. After getting everyone's orders straight with who wants apples instead of fries and who's old enough to order a regular combo as opposed to a happy meal and who needs ketchup and who has a straw and who gets to sit by the window.......somebody spilled their drink all over the table!!!!!!!!!! Yeah. That would be me.

4. I'm working all week at VBS................in the snack room.

I've spent the last 5 years as the preschool music director at VBS. I was responsible for learning about 10 songs with hand motions a month ahead of time then teaching them to the kids throughout the week. It involved a lot of jumping and shouting and jumping and dancing and jumping and memorizing........and jumping. And I loved every minute of it. I felt this year, though, it was time to pass the torch and let somebody else be "The Celebrity of VBS" (you acquire quite a few fans as music leader). I didn't actually have a job assignment this year until Champ got sick and asked if I could fill in for her in the Snack Shack. It's been so nice and relaxing to stand around every morning with some nice ladies making sea turtles out of oatmeal pies and flip flops out of vanilla cookies (I have become quite crafty in the kitchen indeed). After that, all I'm reponsible for is saying a prayer with the kids and cleaning up after them. There is absolutley no jumping required! And it is heavenly. But I will confess, I miss the jumping just a little bit.

5. I held a newborn baby.

Last week my friend Nicole gave birth to her 4th child. (Hence the reason I'm trucking her kids to VBS). His name is Jonas and he's stinkin cute. Our families are very close and spend so much time together that it never occurred to me not to go to the hospital to visit, except for the fact that for the past 2 1/2 years I've steered clear of newborn babies. Rebekah was the last baby I'd held and in some strange way it made me feel like I was still holding on to her. Well, last week I let go and allowed myself to feel that weight in my arms again. To smell the sweetness and feel the warmness. And you know what? It was OK. I didn't cry or feel sad. In fact, I felt excited. Excited that God has been faithful to bring me so far. There was no doubt that while I was holding Jonas, He was holding me.

So, I'm feeling pretty accomplished this week. Maybe I'll do some crazy stuff next week too. Like go jogging. Or volunteer for worship care. Or give up desserts. Or not.

5 comments:

HunaBob said...

If your posts from here on out are going to tear my heart out like this, it was well worth it to go to that conference. I'm so glad you are letting Him show you how far you have come as a person and a child of God.

As for 4 kids in McDonalds? I suggest counseling-just to make sure you never, ever do it again...

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Well, looks like you've passed your fast food test for large families. Next you must wait in a long line at the grocery store while two have to tinkle and the other two are arguing. Pass that one and I will send you another, grasshopper.

So glad that you held that precious bundle in your arms. Your words brought tears to my eyes.

Love, Joanne

Tammy said...

You are a brave woman...4 kids to McD's! I barely survived 3 at Chuck E. Cheeses (as you saw my post).

Sometimes you just gotta let someone know that you are very unhappy with them, and I'm sure it didn't effect the nicely manicured airline lady. They train them to be cold hearted.

As for the red shoes, better you than me. You will rock them, I know! I had a red pair of Keds one time.

Big Nanny said...

You can never go wrong with a pair of red shoes. I take that back, you can go wrong with red shoes but we gave you proper instruction so you should be okay.

I was praying for you last Thursday. I'm glad to know that He answered my prayer. That you would be okay.

Shawn said...

You rock those red shoes, my friend. They actually go with a lot more than you think. Clinton and Stacy from What not to Wear would be so proud.