Sunday, June 1, 2008

As weekend's go, this one was exceptional

Well, the weekend is almost over and I have to say, I'm sad to see this one go. It's been pretty good to me. For starters, I got an entire night alone in my house on Friday. Handiman went camping with some guys from church and Little Ocho spent the night at Champ's. I had an entire evening all to myself and a few quiet hours on Saturday. I cranked up the stereo, watched 2 chick flicks and finally finished an article I've been working on for 2 months. Add all of that to the fact that "My Fair Lady" was on TV today, Kelly Kapur is this month's featured character on my "Office" calendar and I won 3 out of the 4 games of Uno Attack we played this afternoon and you've got one mighty find weekend. And, did I mention I got a job?

You're probably a little surprised I'm counting that as good news. I will admit I've done my fair share of complaining about my need for full-time employment. I haven't hesitated at all to whine about our financial situation and how inconvenient and down right annoying it was going to be to go back to work. Yes, I have been very forthcoming with my bad attitude. So, I guess it's only fair I be as generous with the good stuff. And also tell you what a complete show-off God was in the details.

My job search started months ago and I wasn't exactly going at it full-force. I put in a few applications and had a few interviews but I was very stringent in my requirements. I refused to work nights, weekends, holidays and I really wanted to work part-time for full-time pay and benefits. And if it wasn't too much trouble, I'd rather not have to deal with people. Cause they cramp my style. Yep. That's the attitude that got me turned down by Super Target. There I said it. I was rejected by Target. Are you happy Radke?

Anyway, my lackluster attempts weren't helping our bank account and things got a little more dire so I had to step it up. I eventually really started trying. I had a few interviews for jobs that I was extremely qualified for but nothing ever came of them. In the mean time, I was still volunteering at Ocho's school on Wednesday's and sharing my struggles with Ocho's teacher and my friend, Mary Beth Wahlman. She encouraged me to apply at the school in case something opened up and since she had some pull (she's married to the Headmaster) she promised to put in a good word for me. One day after turning in my resume I received a call from the principal. She set up a meeting that very afternoon and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

There was a need for someone to teach an introductory computer class to 1st - 5th grade but the position would only be part-time, 2 days a week. As much as I wanted to jump at the chance I knew it wouldn't be enough, so I told her our family really needed me to work full-time. Her response was a smile and these words "Well, I always believe you look at what God gives you and you figure out where He wants you to use it." She then said she might be needing a part-time teacher's aide so why not combine the jobs and make one full-time position tailor-made for me! It sounded too good to be true. A full-time job? At Ocho's school? That means we'd have the same schedule, our travel time each day would be cut in half (it is 1 hour round-trip from our house), a discount in tuition and I get to work with some of the Godliest, sweetest people on earth whom I've already established really close friendships with? Seriously?

This past Friday I got the call that everything has worked out and she offered me the job. As nervous as I am to do something completely new I have no doubts God will equip me for the task. There's just no way to look at this without seeing Him written all over it. God is Good! All the time!

Thank you for your prayers. I give you full permission to keep praying for me but while your at it, give Him a shout of praise and tell Him it's from me.

"Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or imagine, according to the power that works in us, Unto Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, without end. Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

6 comments:

Nicole @ Four Real said...

Isn't it just awesome how God knew how hard this decision was for you and how he just arranged the perfect job for you! PRAISE GOD! I am so happy for you!

Melissa Lee said...

Good for Little Ocho's school.
Bad for SuperTarget.

And yes, I am very very happy now. You have to understand, I'm just all about keepin' it real.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. I have to say the girl I went to college with would NEVER take a job working with children. Isn't amazing how God works. I am so excited for you.

Big Nanny said...

Thank you, Sue Ellen for your comment about the girl you know. I know that same girl:) and it just goes to show that God has a sense of humor and wants Teresa to have some new blog material. I think this job could bring on a new series with the title: "I believe the children are our future" or something like that. Congrats!

CEU said...

Teresa, Congratulations from the bottom of my heart. I am bumping "LTWL" to the tippy top of my fav list - and my prayer list! Blog material for sure Big Nanny. Teacher's aide at Ocho's school - yes. Computer Instructor for 1st-5th graders?! ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS! Love you!

Alicia (dna) said...

My advice is to start taking Vitamin C!! You will be exposed to every virus known to mankind or I should say childkind.
The good news is after the first six months, you'll have an immune system that is tough as nails.

Congrats to you! You'll do great!