Today was the big day. The day when all of Monday's pain and suffering would pay off. It was "Kung Fu Panda" day. But not before Ocho's dentist appointment. I know. I know. I'm a terrible mother for scheduling the child for the dentist only 1 day after sending her to the doctor. But, here's the thing. My child thinks the dentist is fun. As if the whole milk thing didn't make her weird enough. And before you go thinking she likes it because she's never had a cavity, well....think again. She's had 2 and one of them resulted in a root canal. So, I can't really explain her love of the dentist's office except that all the women there are really sweet to her and she walks out with a free toothbrush and a prize from the treasure box. Those finger-prickin, booster-shootin' doctors only gave her a lousy sucker.
We made it out of the dental chair with no cavities, a Shrek toothbrush and a bouncy ball, so it was very successful indeed. After that she had to endure an hour of sheer boredom while I paid a visit to The Hair Whisperer. Oh, how I've missed him. Once I was washed, dried, trimmed and flat-ironed it was off to Wendy's where absolutely no one appreciated how cute I looked. Once we downed our combo's it was finally time for the movie.
I have to say it was cute and pretty funny. The fight scenes in the movie might be a little much for the very young and the villain is extremely scary but all in all I didn't find anything offensive or out of line. And Little Ocho gave it 2 thumbs way up. My problem was with the previews.
drags soapbox out and climbs on top
What is the deal with these previews theaters show before kid's movies??? I understand that these days it's become the norm to stick questionable humor in a kid's movie and give it a PG rating, thus opening up the possibility for any PG movie to be previewed beforehand. BUT STILL!! Today they showed clips from "Sex and the City" (Rated R) and "The Love Guru" (Rated PG-13). Oh yes they did!!! There was also a clip for some really scary looking film called "Journey to the Center of the Earth" or something like that. It was completely inappropriate for 90% of the kids in our theater today. Since this happens all the time, Ocho has been trained to bury her face in my lap and cover her ears when I give the word, but I am always astonished at the number of parents all around me with kids her age and younger who don't make any effort to shield their kids from these images. Lord, forgive us. We're idiots.
Steps down and pushes soapbox back into storage.
So, I've got to go finish dinner before Handiman gets home and then I'll probably be turning in early. My friend Nicole is on the verge of "pushing out another pup" as Handiman likes to say and I'm on call to come sit with her kids should it happen in the middle of the night. And we all know it always does.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Teresa-
Let me share a spot on that soapbox with you. I completely agree. We went and saw Kung Fu Panda on Saturday and I was horrified as well. Also, why in the world do I have to watch 25 minutes of previews? Seriously, that's how long we watched commercials and previews for movies that were for the most part inappropriate for my kids. I don't know who's picking out the previews, but they need a panel of moms to set them straight.
Alicia
100% in agreement with you on the previews! I have tried even calling the theater and complained...didn't get me very far but I felt like I did my part. I don't like previews to begin with but what they put in front of children-they should be ashamed of themselves!
Post a Comment